Reporting to the Regional Engineering Manager, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for performing the preparation of mechanical engineering studies and designs. These include, but not be limited to, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and central heating and refrigeration plants (CHRPS) for buildings and structures at various building and airport facilities, including associated HVAC controls, electrical and other applicable trades.
The project is located in New York City (NYC); consequently, the Senior Mechanical Engineer candidate must have design-build experience in NYC, be thoroughly familiar with design, permitting, and other vital aspects of the design-build process. In addition, experience with entities such as NYPA, DASNY and PANYNJ are highly desired.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will be the technical lead, and will evaluate project scopes, develop design criteria and design schedules. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will also play key role in the construction aspect of the project, including:
(1) Identification of qualified subcontractors in NYC for applicable trades
(2) Bidding process to select the best team of subcontractors
(3) Preparing proposals and project change proposals
(4) Perform all project delivery process requirements
(5) Coordinate design and project delivery with other disciplines
(6) Performing design services with nominal supervision for complex projects including:
• Performing studies, evaluations and preliminary designs that are accurate and complete within the optimal budgets and schedules.
• Resolving design issues creatively and thoroughly coordinating design with other disciplines.
• Reviewing shop drawings and submittals within schedule and resolving field issues in a timely manner.
(7) Managing and auditing design services performed by consultants for complex projects including preparing RFP scope and cost estimates, critically reviewing consultant proposals Reviews plans and specifications of each project assigned in order to be familiar with all details
(8) Coordinates all design reviews among in-house staff, planning staff, administrators and other City and State agencies.
(9) Confers with personnel and equipment staff to develop implementation schedules.
(10) Participates in decisions to award contracts and to use consulting services for construction supervision.
(11) Coordinate among construction supervisory team, local administration, implementation group and other central office functions.
(12) Assures that scope statements, estimates, and contract documents are prepared in accordance with standards and procedures.
(13) Reviews progress and cost statements including cumulative change order costs.
• Minimum of seven (7) years diversified experience in the design of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems for commercial and industrial buildings as well as central heating and refrigeration plants, and thermal distribution systems.
• New York State license as a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect or a license as a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect from a state that has reciprocity with New York State may be substituted for four years of the experience in NYC as described above.
Education: Bachelor's Degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university